Mithras lead our people here when the false Emperor tried to lead them across the seas. He slew a bull in ritual and made its hide into his cloak. When he opened his cloak it became a door into his world. He had gathered us to help his people fight the great evil to the East only to find that during his wanderings they had tasted its corruption. Now we stand as a bulwark against that evil and its spreading corruption.
Those who were his closest followers learned the secrets of his ways and have taught those to worthy soldiers and others since we first came here. Now those initiated in the Mysteries of Mithras wander the world bringing light and purity to those threatened by darkness and corruption.
Fights and saves as a fighter (but gains no special fighter abilities). May use any weapons, armor, and all magic items allowed fighters (with an exception, see the table).
At name level (Pater) they may create a Mithraeum, an underground windowless complex for the worship of Mithras. He will attract 5d6 individuals wishing to be initiated into the Mysteries (1st level Initates).
|Experience||Level||Title||Hit Dice||Class Ability|
|0||1||Corax||1d8||Purify Food and Water (as per cleric spell)|
|1600||2||Nymphus||2d8||Light (as per cleric spell)|
|3200||3||Miles||3d8||Shield (as per magic-user spell)|
|19,200||5||Leo||5d8||Thunder Bolts (magical bolts that always strike and do 2d4 damage)|
|80,000||7||Heliodromus||7d8||Protection from Evil (10′ radius)|
|320,000||9||Pater||9d8||May use any magical staff or rod (but not wands)|
Ability Uses per Day
|Level||Purify Food and Water||Light||Shield||Thunderbolts||Protection from Evil 10′|
- This class was created using Erin Smale’s Perfect Class and is designed for a Rules Cyclopedia game using no weapons mastery rules.
- It should work fine in most of the retro-clones although if the RC abilities for fighters are not in use increase the XP required by 800/1600/3200/6400/13000/26000/52000/1040000 thereafter.
- If playing a RC game using weapons mastery lower the XP by 400/800/1600/3200/8000/1600/32000/64000/128000 there after.
- The titles are patterned after those in the Wikipedia article on the Mithratic Mysteries. The abilities are drawn from the symbols on the system.
- Mithras was mostly worshipped by soliders so this is mostly a fighter class.
- The abilities for the first eight levels are based on roughly the level 1-4 cleric progression. In Smale’s system I rated this as roughly 1/3 cleric ability due to the cut off at 4th level and the inflexibility.
- Infravision lasts 24 hours so instead of a per day usage I just made it a permenant ability.
- The staff/rod usage is costed as scroll usage in Smale’s system.
- In my campaign world Mithras was someone from that world who came to earth during the early Roman Imperial period and wandered the empire gaining followers to succur his people who were under attack by a great evil. He lead some of the last legions of out Britain when Constantine III crossed the English Channel but instead of leading them to the Continent he lead them to the campaign world.
Suggestions are very welcome.